Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Cake


Reposting in honor of my beloved Zucchini ( and the fact I made some more healthy suggestions)

 

This is without a doubt one of my most favorite things to eat in the entire world. I just love this stuff. I have to be sure to have lots of people to share it with or I will eat it all myself. It is really a sad state of affairs to admit such a lack of self- control but it is what it is. This cake is just so moist and yummy. And yes, I use wheat flour! The fact that it has something green in it helps justify in my mind the enormous portions I consume.

A warning: If you have picky eaters like I do, do not, I repeat, DO NOT let them see you put the zucchini in! Last summer my pickies devoured this stuff. This summer I made the mistake of telling them about the zucchini. Two kids would not even try it! Of course that meant there was more for me. But as you now know, that is not a good thing.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup oil (I prefer coconut oil)

1 3/4 cup sugar ( I prefer Coconut sugar)

2 eggs

1/2 cup sour milk (if you don't know your cow personally, mix 1/2 cup Almond milk with 2 teaspoons lemon juice and let stand for 10 minutes- it works)

1 tsp vanilla

2 cups sifted flour (I really do use all white winter wheat but you can substitute with part white flour if you scared--but you shouldn't be)

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/2 tsp salt

4 Tbl unsweetened cocoa powder

2 1/2 cup grated zucchini

1/4 cup ground walnuts or pecans

1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips ( I prefer dark)


What you do:

1. cream butter, oil, and sugar

2. add eggs, milk, and vanilla

3. In a separate bowl-sift together dry ingredients

4. blend dry ingredients into butter mix

5. add zucchini and mix well

6. spread in a 9 x 13 pan (greased and floured) sprinkle with walnuts and chocolate chips

7. Cook in a preheated 325 oven for 45 minutes-55minutes until toothpick comes out clean

The trick to this cake requires some degree of self-control. You have to wait to eat it until the next day (or at least a few hours). For this exercise in delayed gratification you will be rewarded. The cake will taste twice as good- I promise.


 Enjoy the harvests of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment