Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Cake

I just created something beautiful. Well, okay maybe not much to look at but beautiful to the taste buds. And it is a great way to use up leftover oatmeal (which we always seem to have plenty of around here).

One of my sons may have a peanut allergy and so my usual use for leftover oatmeal, Peanut Butter Bars, seemed kind of mean to make today. He was starving!  So a quick search on the Internet turned up a recipe that I can't link because it was in a super long thread. But I changed it a ton anyway including cutting the sugar in half.




Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Cake

Cream Together:

1/2 C Coconut Oil*
1 C Coconut Sugar**
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla

Add in and beat:
 
1 Overripe Banana
2 C leftover cooked oatmeal
1/2 C plain Greek yogurt

In a separate bowl, stir together:

1 1/2 C whole wheat flour (use white winter wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder


Beat the cream mixture and flour mixture together. Then add:

1/2 to 1 C dark chocolate chips

Spread into a greased 9 x 13 pan and cook for 30- 40 minutes at 350 degrees until done.

My kids all agreed this is a definite keeper. Even my peanut hating son (also known as the "Pickiest Eater on the Planet") loved this cake!

*Great news! Costco is now selling Virgin Coconut Oil at a lot more affordable price than what I could find online anywhere else!

** Not sure where to find Coconut Sugar? I buy mine at Amazon. This is the brand I currently use- Madhava Organic Blonde Coconut Sugar and I love it. I have also found coconut sugar at Whole Foods Market, Sunflower Market, and The Good Earth. Look at your local health food store.

And of course you can substitute other sugars or oils in this recipe, but I am sold on the benefits of coconut!

No comments:

Post a Comment