Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Peanut Butter Bars






These bars are one of my favorite "on the healthier side" desserts. They are moist and a little messy and melt in your mouth.

I can think of two reasons you would not like these:

1-because you do not like peanut butter in which case, I am sad for you

2-If you like peanut butter and do not like this recipe it is probably going to be because you are used to sugar laden desserts. Wean yourself off of that bad magic food and taste and love real food. That is all.


Peanut Butter Bars

1 C. rolled oats
1 C. very hot water
1/2 C. butter, softened
1/2 C honey or agave
1 egg
1 C. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 C natural peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Optional: I like to melt dark chocolate chips and spread on top. My kids like it when I actually add chocolate chips into the mix itself before baking. It really is yummy of course, because chocolate is just like that.

Soak oats in hot water in a bowl for a few minutes. Meanwhile cream butter, honey, and egg in another bowl. Add the oats, soda, peanut butter, and vanilla and stir until well combined. Spread in a 9 x 13 pan*. Bake at 350 for at least 15 minutes until done. Cool and cut into bars.

* I actually usually double this recipe and still put it in the one pan. This makes for thicker bars and you will need to cook them longer of course.

Mmmm....this will be one of the wholesome home made desserts I will turn to once I start eating sweets again.

No comments:

Post a Comment