Monday, January 17, 2011

Healthy Family Challenge- Week 4


Ready for your challenge this week?

Make a green smoothie.

Yes, you probably should eat more than one of these a week, but let's start out small, shall we?

Some weeks, I am more consistent than others. My goal this year is to have a green smoothie at least 3 times a week.

You will find my sister Heather's post and recipe for green smoothies here.

But really, there is no wrong way to make a smoothie is there?

Well, unless you add sugar to it, in which case that sort of, kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

If you have picky kids like mine, start out with just a little of the green stuff and maybe don't let them see you do it.

I am not one for lying to children. I mean, we don't even keep up pretenses about Santa or the Tooth Fairy around here (don't judge me). But sometimes what they don't know, will help them.

One of the best ways to disguise the greenness of the green smoothie is to use blueberries (a super food) and voila, you have a purple smoothie. The only caution with that is make sure your kids are either wearing clothes you do not care about, stand over top of them every second as they drink it, or strip them down.

My sister heather is anti-dairy and has no joy in life. Just kidding. She is really happy. But I prefer to skip the water. I like to add some yogurt to my green smoothie and use frozen bananas which add to the smoothiness of it all. If the concoction is too thick I like to add some almond milk as well.

Green smoothies really are an awesome way to make sure you are getting plenty of fruits and veggies in your diet.

Try it. You will like it, you will see.

4 comments:

  1. the idea of mixing dairy with my greens just makes me want to puke!!! But don't judge me :)

    You are right there really is no wrong way to make a smoothie. I want to give a shout out to trying chard and collards in your smoothies - way awesome! Lately we have been using a frozen fruit mix we get at walmart (again, don't judge me) with peaches, pineapple, strawberries, and mango - so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I JUST had a smoothie for snack!! Mine isn't as exciting, though. Just apple juice, strawberries, blackberries, and a WAD of spinach. YUMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband thinks green smoothies are a veggie coop out. He "likes his vegetables to taste like vegetables" and doesn't like the idea of hiding vegetables in sugar - "of course kids will eat it if you put enough sugar in it." And yes, to him even if the sugar is unrefined like in bananas and dates, it is still sugar, still sweetness covering up the yummy spinach. Crazy man! So, I make green smoothies for snacks and lunches and have "real" veggies for dinner. I personally am much more likely to eat my fruits and veggies if I can slurp them down in cool refreshing sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Common Jen! We need the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete