Monday, February 22, 2010

Green Smoothies

A post/recipe from my sister Heather:

I originally got this idea from my sister-in-law, Olga . Then I stared reading greensmoothiegirl.com and got even more insights on “green smoothies.” This smoothie is delicious. My kids LOVE them and they are a great way to get more greens in your diet. I try to make these every day. Ideally, I would like to drink them for breakfast , since my breakfasts don’t usually include veggies. It is easier to get the veggies in at other meals. I save my husband’s portion in the fridge in the blender, then when he gets home he just reblends it quickly and drinks it. If I haven’t had a chance to do them during the day, we will have these for dessert.

Step one: put water in blender and add spinach and kale. I do about 2- 3 cups of water and several handfuls of each. I use pre-washed spinach and I do not include the stems of the kale.

Step two: add 2 bananas, one orange, some frozen blueberries and frozen strawberries.

Step three: mix it up and then add a bunch of ice. Mix up and drink. And say “hello” to a great tasting, easy way to get more veggies in your diet.

** I took this from an old post when I first started making these. Here is how I have changed them.

1. Water 2-3 cups- add several handfuls of greens. Blend. (When you first start making these you may want to have more fruit than greens but then as your family gets use to them up the greens portion.

2. Add 1-2 tblsp of flax oil and 2-3 bananas. Blend. (You don’t have to do the flax oil but flax is so good for you and as Americans we don’t get enough omega 3′s in our diet, Here is an easy way to get more.)

3. Add frozen fruit. Blend

I no longer add ice because I like them cold but not slushy. You can do this recipe so many ways. Here are some suggestions:

Greens: (you want to use mild tasting ones)

spinach, chard, kale, collard greens, romaine lettuce

Fruit:

blueberries, strawberries, oranges, pears, raspberries, blackberries, apples, peaches, mango, pineapple etc… I have also used avocados, which really add a nice smooth texture.

-Heather

2 Comments

  1. Posted February 23, 2010 at 9:04 pm

    Absolutely amazing! I love the look of the layered goodness!
    Nikki aka Bake Sale Girl

  2. Posted February 23, 2010 at 10:31 pm

    I really want to start doing these in the morning and oatmeal too. I will need to get up earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment