Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Shakes

One of my all time favorite recipes! The following is a post/recipe from my awesome sister Heather:

Almost two years ago my amazing husband gave up sweets. He has amazing will power. I have joined him on and off. I know that it is important for my family to get off refined sugars. When I stared getting into the raw food movement I found a version of this recipe in a raw food recipe book. The only sweeteners in this are bananas and dates.2 cups unsweetened almond milk (buy in a box at health food stores – can find them at regular grocery stores as well. You can use regular cow’s milk but I like the almond flavor better, then you can also serve this to all your vegan friends.You can also make your own almond milk with water and raw almonds, but I have been too lazy to try this yet.)

4 frozen bananas (Important – they must be frozen or it won’t be a “shake”)
2-3 medjool dates with pits out (we like 2)
1-2 Tblsp of unsweetened cocoa (we like closer to 1)

2- 3 Tblsp of natural peanut butter

Blend it all in your blender – yummmmmmm
Start out with the smaller amounts of cocoa and dates and taste it, if you want more, add them.

These are seriously so delicious. They taste like a shake you can get from a malt shop. So good.

-Heather


8 Comments

  1. Posted February 24, 2010 at 12:09 am

    I have to put a plug in for these shakes. I absolutely love them. I try not to eat too much sugar and these babies fix me up real good:)

    Seriously, you must try them.

  2. Posted February 24, 2010 at 5:50 pm

    I even liked them.

  3. Posted February 24, 2010 at 11:51 pm

    I have to say one more thing. Okay, two.

    Do not be intimidated by the almond milk. Just use cows milk if you have to. I do all the time (gasp). These shakes are just so delicious and wonderful I cannot say enough about them! Try them, you will like them.

    The second thing? The dates. You do not have to go to a health food store to find these dates. Dole sells whole pitted dates with no added sugar and I can buy them right here in my dinky little town.

    We had these again tonight and I just fall deeper and deeper in love.

    Have I said enough?

    • Ed
      Posted February 25, 2010 at 10:56 am

      What the heck is wrong with cow’s milk? I almost like my cow as much as my dog.

  4. Heathermommy
    Posted February 25, 2010 at 11:35 am

    If you can get real cow’s milk there is nothing wrong with it – meaning raw. But the almond milk in this particular recipe is just a preference for me. Rick doesn’t notice a difference.

  5. Melissa
    Posted February 26, 2010 at 1:45 pm

    Mmmmmm!! I just purchased a new blender so I will definitely try this one!

  6. Traci Cozzocrea
    Posted May 17, 2010 at 9:18 pm

    Where do you find the dates?

    • Posted May 17, 2010 at 9:52 pm

      Hi Traci!

      I sometimes buy the dates at the health food store (in the bulk food section). But Dole’s pitted whole dates are a great product and I can buy them in my tiny local grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment