Monday, February 22, 2010

Heather's Fajitas and Seriously Yummy Salsa


This is from my sister, Heather. We make this pico ALL THE TIME!

From Heather:

This is one of the yummiest things we eat in this house.

1. First make the salsa (this is really what makes this recipe special. So easy but so good.)

Cut up a lot of roma tomatoes in chunks (about 10 or so)Add a chopped up avocado, chopped green onions, and chopped fresh cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and stir in 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Mix it all together and put in fridge until ready to eat.

Cut chicken breast, onions, and peppers in strips ( I use red, yellow, orange, and green)

Cook chicken with a little bit of olive oil. When it is cooked through put on a plate and set aside. Then warm up a little more oil and saute the onions and peppers till soft. Return the chicken to the pan. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin,and garlic powder. (Sorry no exact measurements, I do it by feel. ) Then I add 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Cook it till every thing is heated through and the sauce is mostly evaporated.

Take a whole wheat tortilla and put warmed up black beans on the bottom, add chicken and pepper mixture, cheese, sour cream and the yummy salsa you made at the beginning.

Warning: this gets messy. But it is oh so worth it.
We also do a variation as a fajita taco salad with romaine lettuce as the base then pile on all the stuff you put in the tortilla, then crumble tortilla chips on top.

** P.S. one of my biggest pet peeves is that most of the wheat tortillas you find in the store have partially hydrogenated oils in them. I have found good tortillas without them at Trader Joe’s. You can probably find some good ones at other health food stores or make your own.

-Heather

3 Comments

  1. heathermommy
    Posted February 22, 2010 at 11:37 pm

    So I have to say that since writing this, my family has become vegetarians. We still make this pico but we eat it on taco salads with no meat but with seasoned black beans. It is still delicious and we don't miss the meat at all!

  2. Posted February 23, 2010 at 10:30 pm

    I love this recipe. I passed it on to my ward to include in the cookbook and to my Laurels who graduated last year. Josh doesn’t use this recipe very often for fajitas, though, and it makes me sad. But he has a good recipe, too and lots of good recipes for other things, so I will pass those on. Soonish.

  3. Ellen Walker
    Posted February 23, 2010 at 10:34 pm

    Mmmmm, these look yummy. I can’t wait to try it! And I love that you are doing them vegetarian now. I am not vegetarian, but I like to experiment with meat-free foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment