Thursday, February 25, 2010

Kid friendly Granola

A couple of years ago I spent the summer hunting for the perfect Granola recipe. There are all sorts of awesome Granola recipes out there but I was looking for one that would satisfy a bunch of picky eaters, otherwise known as my children. I finally found the best Granola recipe for making my kids happy. They don’t care for coconut and sunflower seeds in their Granola and were always whining about it.

I love this recipe because I can throw it together in a matter of minutes and while it is cooking I can get on with my day.

This stuff gets scarfed up immediately. Husbands love it too. My kids say it reminds them of Honey Bunches of Oats – only so much better (and so much better for them)! I usually quadruple this recipe so we can eat it all week. Store it in an airtight container.

Feel free to add raisins, coconut, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, or whatever if your kids aren’t picky like mine. In fact, my kids are so picky that I even leave out the almonds in half of the batches I make. Meanwhile the adults in the house have a plethora of nuts (pecans, walnuts, and almonds) in their Granola. Eating it with yogurt is my favorite! One day I will tell you about yogurt.

Here’s the easy recipe:

Combine
4 Cups Old-fashioned Rolled Oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup sliced almonds (may substitute other nuts or leave out entirely)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Heat 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup honey until honey dilutes. Add 1 tsp vanilla and pour over dry ingredients. Stir well so that all the oats are coated with the liquid.

Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Cook at 300 for 40 minutes, stirring every ten minutes. Let cool and serve.

Enjoy!


3 Comments

  1. Posted February 26, 2010 at 12:21 pm

    Barely made this recipe…I’ve been looking for a granola recipe and found a winner! Thanks for sharing…now I need to get back to my munching.

  2. Rachel
    Posted March 1, 2010 at 4:23 pm

    Can you please explain the difference between Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats and the Rolled Oats-Quick from the storehouse? Is there any? Can I use my food storage oats in granola? Because I have a lot of those and would like to make some granola.

    • Posted March 2, 2010 at 4:59 pm

      Rachel,
      From what I understand the difference is that quick oats are just chopped up into pieces to speed up cooking time when making oatmeal. I think using these in Granola is totally fine. The texture might be a little different because the oatmeal is in smaller pieces, but it will still work.


No comments:

Post a Comment