Friday, February 11, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Goodness


Did you read My Sad Sugar Story yesterday? Well, just in case you were wondering I still do periodically go off sugar. It is a lesson in self-restraint and actually just makes me feel better all the way around.

Now is  one of those times.

In my non-sugar state I set a few rules for myself. I can eat desserts but they can only be sweetened with 100% juices, agave nectar, stevia, dates, or pure maple syrup, etc. 

I got this recipe from my awesome sister Heather. You should check out her food blog: Real Mom Health Nut


Macaroons

3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
1 1/2 cup cocoa
1/3 cup coconut oil (solid state)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbl vanilla
about 1 cup maple syrup
stir together all ingredients

shape into tablespoon size balls

place on dehydrator screen at 115 degrees for 10 to 24 hours. 

They are done when they are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside

My dehydrator does not have a way to select temperature. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that it belongs to my mother and is 30 years old. I just turn it on and it starts. I dehydrated these cookies for about 12-14 hours. They were perfect.

I am in love. So is my husband. Gigi likes them too she says. Most of the kids not so much since they are not huge coconut fans. This is a problem because I need lots of people to partake of these so I don't stuff myself. I will have to win them over somehow!

1 comment: