Monday, February 14, 2011

Eat Cake

You can skip the ice cream and forget about frosting. This cake stands on its own and needs no assistance from anything!



My son Boo is trying to kill me. Okay, well maybe it would be more accurate to say he is trying to kill my diet. 

I was determined to not eat any sugary concoctions for a couple more weeks but I caved!

And it is all Boo's fault. If he wasn't such a master baker I might have been able to stick with my goal.

But the combination of homemade chocolate cake and my son's flashing dimples and his query, "You are going to try some of my cake, aren't you mom?"-well, it was all a little too much for me.

More like, a lot too much for me.

In honor of Valentine's Day, I am sharing the love.

Yum. It is so good!

Dark Chocolate Cake
2 cups boiling water
1 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder ( or just use regular cocoa)
2 3/4 cup flour ( we really do use 1/2 white wheat and 1/2 white flour)
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter (softened)
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan. In a medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa and whisk until smooth. Let cool. Sift together flour, soda, powder, and salt and set aside. In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in one egg at a time, then stir in vanilla. Add cocoa mixture alternately with flour mixture. Spread in pan. Bake for 30- 45 minutes checking with a toothpick in the center for doneness. You do not want the toothpick to be a gooey mess but you also do not want it to come out totally clean because the cake will be dry. When masterfully done, this cake is a little dense but moist and melts in your mouth.

Now back to my regularly scheduled abstinence from sugar.

1 comment: