Monday, May 17, 2010

Kim's Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Muffins

For years I resisted the allure of a Facebook account. After all, I had my family blog, annual Christmas letters, e-mail, etc as a means to keep in touch with friends and family. But there was always the fact that there were people who I had lost contact with along the way. One of those people was my friend Kim.

Kim attended the same High School as me for just one year, but she became a dear friend. Then her family up and moved to Bermuda of all places. One of the biggest regrets of my life was losing contact with Kim, because she was just that awesome.

Enter Facebook.

I now love Facebook.

And I love these chocolate muffins. So do my kids. They have now become an excellent way to bribe my kids out of bed in the morning.

I give you Kim, in her own words:

“All right, so I cannot claim that there is anything nutritionally appropriate about serving these for breakfast! Nevertheless, I do serve them for breakfast (I usually make pumpkin-apple muffins for myself, while the kids suffer sugar overload/vitamin deficiency with these).

I developed this recipe over many tries by combining several recipes I found online. These are deeply-chocolate flavored, which we all love.

Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 stick butter
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla (I love vanilla)
1-1 1/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2-1 cup chocolate chips
sugar sprinkles

Melt butter & chocolate chips together in microwave (about 1min). Stir until smooth. Add sugar, egg, vanilla & buttermilk to butter mixture. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda & cocoa. Stir in liquids just until blended. Will be thick, add moisture with buttermilk if necessary, but the texture should be gloppy, not runny. Add in chocolate chips. Spoon into sprayed muffin pan. Sprinkle with sugar sprinkles. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, or until done. Makes 12 muffins.”


One Comment

  1. Jessica Barker
    Posted May 19, 2010 at 4:28 pm

    Every week at work we have “Fatty Friday.” We all take turns bringing in delicious food, usually breakfast treats. I think I will make these very appropriate for Fatty Friday muffins the next time it is my turn.



No comments:

Post a Comment