Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Rooster's Beak Reprise

I know that when I very first started this blog, I posted my sister Heather’s pico de gallo recipe. But can I just tell you that I feel the need to share it again. This time with measurements (an added bonus because I care)!

We seriously eat this about every other day at our house. It is that good-and apparently, addictive.

Pico de gallo means “rooster’s beak” in Spanish-the etymology of which has a whole interesting page on wikipedia.

My new favorite way to eat pico de gallo is on a bed of lettuce with a handful of crumbled corn chips and maybe some cheese lightly sprinkled on top. The reason for this is that I am on a diet. Boo, hiss! Nonetheless, this is a very filling, low caloric ( not to mention healthy) meal. If you are feeling carnivorous, add some meat and have at it. That is what I did not 10 minutes before writing this post. But not before I snapped some pictures.

Pico de gallo

4 roma tomatoes, chopped

1/2 onion (we prefer white), chopped

2 green onions, thinly sliced

2-3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped with large stems removed

1 tablespoon lime juice

sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper

You can add avocado if you prefer, but honestly we don’t. I know that is almost sacrilege to admit, but it is true. It is a good idea to eat it though if you are not having any other protein/fat with your meal and so sometimes we do.

This seems to be the perfect amount for about 4 people to munch to their hearts content.

And now a bonus recipe. You are welcome.

Our Taco Meat

1 pound of ground beef

1 tbl chili powder

1 tsp dried onion

1/2 tsp minced garlic

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp cumin

Cook through and then add:

1 can of diced tomatoes with cilantro and lime

1 can of black beans, drained

2 Comments

  1. heathermommy
    Posted May 20, 2010 at 6:47 am

    We eat this on taco salad with black beans instead of meat and it is very filling!! Plus I don’t put cheese on mine any more and it is still good.

  2. Posted May 25, 2010 at 7:10 pm

    Jen,
    I am super excited to try out this recipe! I love anything mexican and this will be awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment