Monday, November 15, 2010

Healthy Family Challenge-Week Two


2. Cook one meal this week with wheat pasta.

Why? – If you haven’t heard, whole grains are much better for you. More fiber, more nutrients, don’t raise your blood sugar level, less likely to make you gain weight, etc… You also eat less because it fills you up faster.

How hard is this? Whole wheat pastas are super easy to find at the regular grocery store. They are a little more expensive but not outrageous. Look for it when it is on sale and stock up! There are several different brands and varieties.

I know that a lot of people are resistant to this change. I am not sure why. I have been using wheat pasta for everything from spaghetti to baked ziti to lasagne for most of my married life. My kids eat it. It tastes better. If you get used to eating wheat pasta, if you ever have occasion to eat regular pasta, you will realize how incredibly bland it is.

Trust me. This is an easy change to make. If you think your kids (or your husband) might throw a fit, cook it in a spaghetti pie or baked ziti recipe. They probably won't even notice. Then break the good news to them later.


2 comments:

  1. I can't remember the last time I had pasta. But I do like wheat pasta. Unfortunately, I am not the one who grocery shops or cooks. And I can't convince Josh. But mostly, we just don't eat pasta all that often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a hard one for me. I am the one who notices the texture difference! I did buy some last week and the regular pasta is almost out...ready or not, here we come.

    ReplyDelete