Friday, November 12, 2010

A Summary of Our Gardening Adventure


Last summer when we were planting our garden I promised that I would give updates about how the whole gardening thing was going.

Then reality hit.

Then I stopped blogging.

And there you go.....

Let me sum up.

The garden was pretty much a flop for a few reasons.

First of all, we planted it in the rockiest soil known to man. Okay, that might be a little bit of an overstatement but not much.

Secondly, we have this major ongoing project to get the irrigation water going in our yard. It is November and it is still not done. We were able to get irrigation water to the garden but the rest of our yard became home to thousands of weeds because we were not able to plant grass etc because of our never-ending project. This created a lot of extra work.

I started out the summer with great intentions. But then I found out after pulling my 10,000th weed that the pesky things were responsible for my severe case of asthma which was keeping me from being a mom, exercising, and functioning in general (such as walking across the room). So I had to quit working outside. My Mom took over with occasional help from my reluctant children.

Blah, blah, blah....

Long story short ( I did say this was a summary, right?) is that the only reason anything grew in our garden at all was because of my hardworking mom.

By some miracle we were able to grow many, many tomatoes. And with the help of an awesome neighbor, I was actually able to preserve a lot of them.

We also grew a lot of zucchini --not that that is at all impressive but we enjoyed eating it nonetheless. Especially the chocolate zucchini cake. Yum....

In addition to the tomatoes and zucchini we eeked out some cabbage, some onions, some yellow squash, and artichokes of all things.

-- and that was about it. I did get a handful of basil and cilantro before I managed to kill the plants.

But we were blessed by other people's efforts.

We were thankful to receive lots of potatoes, carrots, broccoli, and peppers from again, our awesome neighbors.

So how did my garden grow?

Well....

I tried. I pretty much failed.

But there is always next year!

1 comment:

  1. I love that the picture you've chosen to put right under the title, "A Summary of Our Garden Adventure," is Salsa! (or spaghetti sauce or something like that). And I love that you end by saying, "But there is always next year!" You bet there's always next year! You did it, didn't you? So what if it wasn't perfect, and there were challenges along the way. You did it! And your family knows that gardening is important to you, and that you can keep doing it, year after year after year. I think there's a lesson somewhere in the picture of the sauce--something about all those ingredients going into making something that tastes so good and will bless your family the rest of the year--but I'm not sure exactly what that lesson is. Oh, well. The important thing is that you had a garden. Here's my cheer for you: GooooOOOOOO, Jen!!

    ReplyDelete