Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Frozen Yogurt Squares


Years ago, when my husband and I were “sugar free”, I spent a lot of time hunting for dessert recipes sans sugar. Some of those were, sadly, flops. But these frozen yogurt squares were a hit! I got this recipe from a book called, “Desserts to Lower Your Fat Thermostat” and as always, I have modified it slightly. This is one of our favorite desserts that we still eat often.

I once made this for a family get together and my friend (a sugar fiend) commented, “these would be really good if you poured chocolate syrup all over them”.

I actually think that would be quite nasty so don’t try it. But if you, like my friend, are not a big fan of that yogurty tangy taste, you might want to substitute flavored yogurt like vanilla. That makes it quite a bit sweeter.

9 out of 10 people that I serve these to LOVE them! If you are a lover of yogurt, you will probably love this recipe. My kids are pretty darn picky, but they all love these yogurt squares.

One day, very soon, I will break out the yogurt maker and make my own yogurt. Until then, these are the brands I like to buy: Mountain High Yoghurt, Nancy’s, Cascade Fresh, Brown Cow, and Stoneyfield Farm.

Frozen Yogurt Squares

2 Cup Plain Yogurt

2/3 unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained

2 tsp vanilla

4 Tbl frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate (or any 100% juice)

4 bananas, sliced

2 cups strawberries, sliced

2 cups Grape-Nuts cereal

In a blender, combine yogurt, pineapple, vanilla, juice concentrate, and bananas. Blend until smooth. Place in a 9X13 pan. Fold in strawberries and 1 cup of the Grape nuts.

Sprinkle remaining Grape Nuts evenly on top and gently press down with the palm of your hand.

Cover with foil and place in the freezer for a few hours. When ready to serve, let it thaw for about 15-20 minutes, then cut into squares and enjoy!


4 Comments

  1. heathermommy
    Posted April 22, 2010 at 2:39 pm

    I think I will make this for rick’s ‘birthday cake.”

  2. Rachel
    Posted April 22, 2010 at 9:01 pm

    Does it taste very pineappley? I am not a fan of pineapple.

    • Posted April 22, 2010 at 9:46 pm

      No, the pineapple taste is not terribly prominent. You just reminded me that there are a few yogurt squares left in the freezer. I am headed there right now!

  3. heathermommy
    Posted April 25, 2010 at 11:34 am

    I made these for Rick’s b-day and everyone loved them!!


No comments:

Post a Comment