Friday, April 2, 2010

Oven Baked Chimichangas

In case you haven’t guessed by now, I love Mexican food. I could seriously eat it everyday.

These chimichangas are so delicious. I could eat the whole pan! They are a lot healthier for you than deep fried. And it goes without saying that they are worlds better for you than the store bought frozen variety.

These freeze and re-heat well. Make them when your family is not around, control your own appetite (if you can-I can’t), and freeze them for future quick snacks.

If you want to make a vegetarian version of these, substitute Spanish rice for the chicken. Yummy!

3 Cups shredded chicken

2 cups cheese (I use 1/2 cheddar and 1/2 mozzarella)

4 green onions, finely chopped

1 1/3 cup salsa

2 tsp cumin

1 tsp oregano

10-12 flour tortillas ( I use my whole wheat tortillas)

2 Tbl olive oil

Mix the chicken, cheese, onions, salsa, cumin, and oregano in a large bowl.

Scoop about 1/2 cup of mixture onto a tortilla. Fold short end, then long side, then short end, then side. Place on pan with seam down. I took pictures because I can’t describe that very well. You probably have a better way to fold a tortilla! But this works.

Brush the tops of the tortillas with olive oil.

Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet in a 400 oven for about 25 minutes. Try not to eat them all by yourself because believe me, you will want to.

2 Comments

  1. Rachel
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 3:55 pm

    Okay, I am trying this one for sure. I love chimichangas but they really aren’t good for you. I keep thinking I need to try making your homemade tortillas, but I am a wimp. I went to Costco this week and they were out of tortillas. I think that was my sign to start making my own. I’ll let you know how it goes!

  2. Posted April 8, 2010 at 4:18 pm

    I can’t keep up with all the yummy recipes on here. Josh and I will be doing some meal planning tonight and I will be revisiting this site for ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment