Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Homemade Bread

Whenever I make homemade bread, which shamefully is not as often as I would like, I wonder to myself why I ever buy bread.

Store bought bread cannot hold a candle to the real thing.

I love this recipe because it is easy! I got it from my friend Shauna and modifed it somewhat. You can see her recipe and cool blog here.

I have oversized pans so this actually only makes two loaves for me. Needless to say with my huge family it is usually gone in one day. But the best way to eat home made bread is when it is fresh and so that is okay.

And this recipe is so easy to make (because I have a Bosch) that I could easily make it every day. Which is why I am wondering why I don’t.

I will have to think about that one.

Do you have a favorite bread recipe? Send it to me and we can all share the love!


Shauna’s Bosch Bread Recipe (modified version)

3 1/2 cups warm water

1/3 cup oil

1/3 cup honey

1 egg

1 TB salt

Mix for a second or so

Add 4 cups fresh ground flour–mix for a minute, then add 2 TBS yeast.

Mix again until like pancake dough.

Let set for 10 minutes–this is called sponging your dough.

Then add enough flour as the mixer is mixing on low to allow the dough to clean out the sides and bottom of the bowl. This should only take 2 minutes or so. The object here is to add as LITTLE flour as possible, only enough to let it clear the sides of your bowl.

Let it knead now for 10 minutes on low.

Oil hands and shape into 3 loaves and put in bread pans.

Put loaves into a 200* pre-heated oven and let rise for 20 minutes.

Raise temp. to 350* and bake for 20-30 minutes more.

2 Comments

  1. heathermommy
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 1:10 pm

    Could I do this in a bread maker?

  2. Posted April 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm

    No mixer equals no homemade bread. Except for that which my father-in-law brings me.

No comments:

Post a Comment