Saturday, April 17, 2010

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Tortillas

Do you just love those buttermilk pancakes?

Wait until you try these tortillas.

I got this recipe from my friends over at Better Than Burgers but I tweaked it to meet my self-imposed food rules (no shortening, limited white flour intake). You can find the original recipe by clicking here. But be warned, there are some dangerously yummy recipes there.

Here’s my version:

4 cups wheat flour ( I use white winter wheat)

1 cup white flour, unbleached

4 tsp baking powder

1 tsp sea salt

1/2 cup butter

2 cups butermilk

Combine all the dry ingredients, then cut in the butter with a pastry cutter. Stir in the buttermilk. I found 2 cups to be the perfect amount but you may need to add more. Knead with your hands until everything is combined well. Let the dough sit for 5 minutes. Then form into balls and roll out -the amount depends on the size tortilla you would like. Cook on a hot skillet/frying pan. Turn over once bubbles form.

These are soft and yummy with a little bit of a tangy flavor from the buttermilk. These are definitely higher in calories/fat than my other tortilla recipe so don’t make these if you are on a diet! Be warned (again)-You will want to eat a lot of these if you make them. My kids LOVED these! Thanks to Julie for sharing:)


One Comment

  1. Genette
    Posted April 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm

    Have you ever tried using lard when you make tortillas? My Granny always did and that is how I make them, too. MMMM.

No comments:

Post a Comment