Monday, June 14, 2010

Adventures in Gardening

The last few weeks we have slowly been getting our garden in.

I had the goal to have it all planted by June 15th.

I still have to plant corn, carrots, potatoes, zucchini, spinach, and peas.

Yes, I am a little late on this.

But what else is new?

I was born late.

Really, I was.

About two weeks.

It seems like my lot in life is to be late.

This may have something to do with the fact that I am really disorganized.

But I keep trying.

As you know, I am a Mormon.

Mormons are really into self-reliance and being prepared.

Therefore, we plant gardens.

“We” generally speaking. Not all Mormons plant gardens. But we are counseled by our Prophet to do so.

And so, every year our family makes an attempt at a garden.

Some have been more successful than others. This year we are in a new house, a house which has been built up on a foundation of shale infested soil.

And because I am so unorganized, I had no idea until I had already invested much time and money that our soil is quite possibly, the most rocky soil known to man.

Do you think I gave up?

Never!

I am stubborn like that.

My husband hauled in 20 year old sheep manure. I went to the greenhouse and bought multiple bags of organic compost and organic soil activator. My son tilled it all in. We are planting the garden in terraces and are in the middle of putting a water line in so we can actually have water. And we have been picking out rocks by the wheelbarrow-full.

It has been a daunting task.

(And is the major reason why I took a week off from blogging)

Do you think anything will grow in my garden?

Besides rocks, I mean.

Stay tuned to find out.


2 Comments

  1. Anne
    Posted June 14, 2010 at 10:48 am

    You may be too late for peas and spinach. They are a cool weather crop. Many root crops are usually cool weather too. Depends on what grow zone you are in, but usually peas are planted very very early spring and beans are warm loving summer crops. Spinach may bolt right away with the heat (or if the ground dries it triggers them to bolt).. but you can save the seeds from them and plant them in late summer into fall when you plant garlic. Another one you can somewhat over winter with protection is kale.

    Good luck to you!

  2. james5555
    Posted June 14, 2010 at 11:04 am

    Looks fantastic! Is it an organic garden. I love that you have a self reliance mindset. Great stuff, keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment