Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Power of Will

I once had someone tell me that I had more will power than anyone she knew.

I guess the reason she said that is because she knew of my 5+ year abstinence from sugar.

She made the comment after I refused some tantalizing dessert she was offering me at a church function.

My first thought was that she didn’t know me very well.

I was flattered by her comment but mostly taken aback. Self-control is something I struggle with. Are self-control and will power synonymous? Maybe not. Maybe they are two different things.

You see, I do not feel like I have very much self-control as I am downing my 7th piece of pizza-something I do every weekend-even after I say to myself, “I am not eating more than 4 pieces of pizza tonight”.

The other day, I cheated on my diet-BIG TIME! Did I mention I was on a diet? The kids requested Kim’s Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins for breakfast. Guess who ate two even after a commitment to only eat sugar on the weekends? Guilty. See? No self-control.

Later that night I ate several homemade chicken nuggets, homemade seasoned fries, and a peanut butter chocolate shake for dessert.

I had the goal to lose two more pounds this week.

At this rate that goal is slipping into the realm of impossibility.

Unfortunately, my lack of self-control is not limited to food. I also have this seeming inability to live within a budget, frequent episodes of inserting my foot in my mouth, and the all too frequent moments of hollering at my children.

But you know, even though I do not seem to have a lot of self-control, maybe I do have will power. There are many days that I would much rather stay in bed. But I don’t. I get up and “go to work”. There are a lot of times that I just want to give up, but I don’t. I keep going.

So yes, I guess I do have will power.

Just not any more than anyone else you know.


One Comment

  1. Jessica
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 11:42 am

    I guess Ihave willpower, too, since I am at work today. But not enough willpower to force myself to work instead of reading your blog. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment