Friday, June 18, 2010

My Mother's Curse

When I was a kid, I was quite possibly the pickiest eater on the planet.

More often than not, I was making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for myself for dinner, rather than eat whatever concoction my mother had slaved over.

I was even picky at fast food restaurants. Have it your way? Heck, yes. Hold everything except the burger, cheese, and the bun.

I detested vegetables, except for carrots-raw thank you, in the form of a stick. And corn-smothered in butter. And potatoes-baked, also smothered in butter.

I was devastated to later learn that corn and potatoes are actually not vegetables.

Fruit? Apples and pears. That was it.

Casseroles, gravy, beans? You were quite possibly trying to kill me.

I even removed all the toppings off of pizza. Wiped the sauce off with a napkin and then ate the crust.

The list could go on and on and on.

Of course, Hostess Ding Dongs and hot dogs were not on the list. Junk food was my friend, as you may recall.

It has taken me many years to repent of my ways and overcome my childish fears.

When I was in college I succumbed to actually eating gravy. It was peer pressure. As we waited in line at the cafeteria, I was assured by one of my dorm mates that gravy was from heaven and should not be missed. There was no turning back after that first bite. Gravy was instrumental in my gaining the freshman 15 that year.

Thanks a lot, Melanie.

My husband convinced me that I would truly love shrimp-deep fried, of course. Whatever! But I trusted him.

Manna.

Thanks a lot, honey.

There were definitely some foods I could have continued to live without. But the fact that I now eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, and yes, even the dreaded legume, has been a good thing. I am most definitely healthier.

Now for my kids.

When I was no doubt frustrating the heck out of my own mother, she would say to me (often), “I hope you get 5 just like you!”

I have 8 kids.

I have 4 kids just like me.

But the youngest is just a baby and the odds are not in my favor.

Thanks a lot, Mom.


2 Comments

  1. Jessica
    Posted June 18, 2010 at 3:34 pm

    Mom had a few picky eaters, as I recall . . . And payback is a terrible thing. :)

  2. Heather
    Posted June 23, 2010 at 6:05 pm

    Hey Jen, (friend of Heather’s here) so what do you recommend to moms’ of kids who are picky eaters? I’m not that way, never have been, but my son is. I always offer the healthy stuff and try not to nag, but can he really live on PB&J forever? Would love to hear from the “kids” perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment