Thursday, June 3, 2010

Why I Hate Food

So, I once said (okay, maybe it was more than once) that I have a love/hate relationship with food.

The reasons I love food are obvious.

It tastes so good, keeps us alive, helps create memories, etc.

But I also sometimes really hate food.

Of course, you all know by now that I hate “food-like substances”. But that is not what I am talking about.

I hate food because it makes me fat –oops, I mean, gain weight.

(I have some people very close to me who object to the use of the word “fat” so I am trying to be sensitive to that fact)

The reason I don’t like to gain weight is really not a vanity issue.

I am so over that-well mostly.

The real reason I do not like it when I am overweight is I feel terrible!

I have eight kids to keep up with and I am getting older by leaps and bounds.

I wish I could leap and bound.

I feel so old and worn out sometimes.

But the biggest issue is this:

I have asthma and the heavier I am, the worse it is. (This is something I know is true for me. I am not speaking for all asthmatics)

Have you ever had to wake up several times at night and give yourself breathing treatments and think you are going to die?

It is not fun.

But you know what is fun?

Eating.

I really like it.

A lot.

I love food.

And I hate it.


3 Comments

  1. Amy
    Posted June 5, 2010 at 8:56 pm

    Amen.

  2. Rachel
    Posted June 6, 2010 at 8:45 pm

    I know just what you mean sister. Although I must admit that I am not over the vanity part of gaining weight. I wish.

  3. Jessica
    Posted June 7, 2010 at 8:41 pm

    I have a slightly different love/hate relationship with food — I love food that is bad for me and hate food that is good for me. Actually, I like some good food, but I don’t love any good food.

    I’m really trying to do better. I’ve bought a supply of somewhat healthy food to eat at work and Josh and I are cooking at home a lot more. I’ve been going for walks at work, although I didn’t go on one today. I’m trying to get in the habit of tracking my food and exercise on Spark People with some success. I thought I did so good on my meals today, but alas, I went 100 calories over. DANG! Need to lose 20 pounds before September 25 . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment