Friday, June 25, 2010

Mexican Style Brown Rice


I try to use brown rice because it is so much better for you than white. And it actually tastes like something -which is always a plus.

I love Spanish rice or Mexican style rice- whatever you want to call it. It is all the same to me.

I have discovered that I love the way this recipe turns out when I use instant rice. Did you know that instant rice comes in “Brown”? Well, it does. Is it as good for you as regular brown rice? I have no idea. I have read that the nutritional difference is insignificant. Can I prove it? No.

I like regular brown rice and the longer cooking time is worth it to me. But in the case of this recipe, I prefer the way it turns out when I use instant brown rice. The fact that it takes a lot less time is a huge side benefit.

Here’s the recipe:

2 Tbl oil

2 Tbl finely chopped onion

2 cups instant brown rice

2 cups chicken broth

1 cup salsa

Sauté the onion in the oil in a saucepan for about 5 minutes on low heat. Add the rice and stir for about 60 seconds. Add the broth and the salsa. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered for 5 more minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve with your favourite Mexican dish.

I just love this stuff. Unfortunately for my diet, I can and do eat lots and lots of it! Yummy!

One Comment

  1. Jessica
    Posted June 25, 2010 at 12:22 pm

    I love brown rice. White rice is not interesting or tasty. Unfortunately, my husband does not like brown rice and he does the grocery shopping. Tear. But maybe he will be more inclined to buy brown rice if it’s the instant kind. This recipe looks yummy. I will have to add it to our menu next time we have Mexican.

No comments:

Post a Comment