Tuesday, June 15, 2010

O, Pioneer!

A couple weeks ago my husband, our two youngest kids, and I visited the vast state of Wyoming. My husband had a seminar he was attending in Casper and we joined him on his trip to keep him company.
On the way home we stopped at an important Historical Site. Have I mentioned that I am a Mormon? Well, Martin’s Cove is a place we reverence as hallowed ground. It is a place where a company of handcart pioneers sought shelter from an early winter storm. Many people lost their lives here, but miraculously, many more survived.
At Martin’s Cove you can take a handcart and make the 5 mile round-trip trek from the Visitor’s Center to the cove.
Given our pioneer heritage, my husband and I felt we had to seize this opportunity.
And so, on a hot and windy day we set out with our 3 year old and our 1 year old.
After going only about 1/2 mile, I was starting to have second thoughts. Everyone else on the trail were turning back. I wondered how I, an asthmatic, was going to fare on this trek. Would the wind and the unfamiliar vegetation aggravate my asthma? How much of a climb was I going to have to make?
I looked at my daughter who was already starting to get cranky. I looked at my restless little boy who was already trying to climb out of the handcart. Did I really want to deal with this, not knowing if I was physically capable of just making it myself?
I looked at my husband, who was cheerfully pulling the handcart while I walked behind trying to keep my little boy from falling out on his head.
I thought of my ancestors who had crossed the plains seeking religious freedom in an unknown territory. If they could do what they did, surely I could walk 5 miles.
And so, we pressed on.
And it was a beautiful, spiritually moving experience.
As I hiked to the cove, I felt strong. I wasn’t worn out. I wasn’t huffing and puffing. That was a marvel to me.
Had I set out on this journey just a few short months ago, I doubt I would have made it. I would not have been physically prepared.
On this day, I felt profoundly grateful that I had made the decision about 4 months ago to get serious about getting in shape.
I run or lift weights every morning. I really push myself. And often times, I hate it. I am trying to break bad eating habits and fill my body with food that nourishes. It has been incredibly hard work for me to be where I am right now and I still have a long way to go. But I keep going because I know that I need to. There are too many things I need to be able to do in this life that require me to be as healthy as possible.
I might not have the same experiences as my pioneer ancestors but I have my own life challenges and trials. I need to be preparing myself spiritually and physically for all that lies ahead.
Post script
As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we Mormons believe the Word of Wisdom to be scripture. Sometimes referred to as the “Mormon code of health”, the revelation contains many beautiful blessings for those that keep it. This blessing has been especially meaningful to me as of late:

That we “shall run and not be weary and shall walk and not faint”.
To read the rest of the Word of Wisdom, click here.


One Comment

  1. Rachel
    Posted June 16, 2010 at 11:44 am
    You’re so awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment