Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Better for You Chocolate Syrup

Who knew that making your own chocolate syrup was so GOSH DARN EASY?

Certainly not me.

I came across this recipe and it is so simple. Quick, easy, and a lot better for you than the stuff you buy at the store. I will never buy it again!

I have an autistic son and he loves chocolate syrup. I rarely give him any because the very first ingredient listed on the store bought variety is -you guessed it -high fructose corn syrup! I try to avoid hfcs like the plague, but I especially do not feel good about giving it to my boy with autism.

Here is what you do:

1/2 cup cocoa

1 cup sugar

dash salt

1 cup water

1 tsp vanilla

Combine the cocoa, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Next add the water and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil for one minute. Let it cool and then add the vanilla.

I store the syrup in a mason jar in the fridge.

This is perfect for chocolate milk or pouring over ice cream and brownies-yum….

As a fairly important side note, I’ll mention the kind of sugar I use. I buy a brand of sugar called Wholesome Sweetners. It is available in a big bag at Costco and it is organic evaporated cane juice -”the perfect organic replacement for white refined sugar”. We don’t use a ton of sugar so even though this is bit more expensive, it is ever so worth it. We use it in cookies, brownies, cakes-you name it. Everything turns out great! I highly recommend it.


4 Comments

  1. Posted March 2, 2010 at 3:20 pm |

    Thanks Jen! I’ll be trying this one. Any idea how long it’s shelf life in the fridge is?

    • Posted March 2, 2010 at 5:06 pm

      I am not sure about the shelf life. I found a similar recipe on another site that said it would last several months. I will probably never be able to test that because if I make this recipe, it gets eaten up in about 2-3 days by my kids!

  2. Melissa
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 5:08 pm

    Yummy! Jen, will you please post your frozen yogurt pie recipe??!! Unless it’s a secret…. :)

  3. Tessie
    Posted April 17, 2010 at 9:42 pm

    Aunt Jenny! This is yummy!! But I used 3/4 cup honey instead of sugar cause I was out and it worked really well! Love ya tons!!

No comments:

Post a Comment