Thursday, March 18, 2010

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes

We have eaten a lot of pancakes over the years at our house. It is a staple in our diet. Lately, my kids are kind of getting burned out on pancakes so I have been trying to change things up a bit.

I invented this recipe the other morning and the kids ate every pancake in sight!

And this recipe proves that whole wheat pancakes don’t have to be heavy. These things just melt in your mouth!

Combine:

4 Cups white winter wheat-freshly ground if you can!

4 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

In a separate bowl, mix together:

4 eggs

8 Tbl canola oil

1 Tbl honey

5-6 Cups Buttermilk

Combine dry and wet ingredients

I add enough buttermilk until the pancakes are the desired consistency-not too thin, not too thick. The batter should easily flow when being scooped onto the skillet, but not like soup. I don’t really have an accurate measurement on the buttermilk. It could be more than 6 cups.

If you do not have buttermilk ( or not quite enough), you can use regular milk with lemon juice in it ( 1tsp of lemon for every 1 cup of milk). I have even used plain yogurt thinned with milk.

Serve these hot with pure maple syrup. Mmmmm….

5 Comments

  1. Posted March 18, 2010 at 11:18 am

    My kids love pancakes, so I will definitely have to try these.

  2. Ellen
    Posted March 18, 2010 at 11:23 am

    We had pancakes every morning when I was growing up, and that’s how my kids grew up, too. My dad was the master chef, and sometimes he used buttermilk. He always separated the egg and beat the white separately and folded it in to the batter last to make it especially light and fluffy. And of course they were whole wheat from freshly ground wheat. We never put syrup on ours. It was always either homemade jam (plum or else apricot-pineapple) or honey or bottled peaches or pears or applesauce. Mm-mm! To this day I have a hard time deciding what to put on my hotcakes, because I love them all!

    • Posted March 18, 2010 at 11:44 am

      That is a great suggestion about the eggs. I am going to try that next time.

      I love pancakes with just a little butter!

  3. Rachel
    Posted March 18, 2010 at 10:54 pm

    I LOVE PANCAKES!

  4. Jessica
    Posted July 19, 2010 at 10:24 am

    Just made these for breakfast. Yummy, yummy, yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment