Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Who is Michael Pollan?

I have mentioned his name twice already, and some of you may be wondering, “Just who is Michael Pollan?”

Well, every once in awhile you come across a book that profoundly changes your life.

Such was the case when I read In Defense of Food and Michael Pollan is the guy who wrote it.

I cannot recommend it enough. It has the potential to change the lives and health of you and your family. Read it and thank me later. Or actually thank my sister Heather who introduced the book to me.

Here’s the basic gist of the book. Eat food (whole foods as opposed to “food- like substances”), Not Too Much ( we eat way too much in this country), Mostly Plants ( don’t worry, this doesn’t just refer to veggies).

One of the best things this book did for me was make me take a harder look at the stuff I put into my body. It is one of the most important things any of us do and yet the Western diet has trained us to not think about it much at all. Food has become all about convenience and it is killing us. Instead we need to get back to having an intimate relationship with food. Food is what keeps us alive and thriving.

This book is so eye- opening- scary and empowering. Yes, both–but mostly empowering. It has made me feel like I do not have to accept the fate of all the Western diseases prevalent in my family. I actually have the power to do something about it. And so do you.

Because I am a Mormon, I have tried to live something we call the Word of Wisdom. Most people think of all the don’ts when it it comes to the Mormon code of health -we don’t drink coffee or alcohol or smoke. But found within the revelation are also a lot of do’s in regards to what we should be eating. It all meshes pretty well with the things Pollan is advocating and no, he isn’t a Mormon.

I couldn’t help but think of this line from the Word of Wisdom over and over again as I was reading this book. This is what the Lord gave as his reasoning for giving us the Word of Wisdom: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation…

Ever wonder what all that stuff is in our food that you read on the labels? This book will help you figure out what it is and why it is there. That to me was the scariest part.

I guess the biggest thing this book did for me was help me gain an attitude of gratitude. It helped me to realize that the earth is full of this amazing food that I believe God has put here for our use-to sustain us, to fill us. Our modern way of eating, out of a box or a can, has separated us from actual food.

I had gotten to the point in my life where I just resented food. It seems like its only purpose was to sap my time (by having to prepare it) and make me fat (by eating it).

Now when I go to prepare 3 meals a day for my gigantic family, I do so with a grateful heart. I try to remember that food really can make all the difference.

And if it is the right kind of food, that is a good thing.

P.S. Am I preaching to the choir? For all you choir members check out this book by Pollan, Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual-only $5 at Amazon!


3 Comments

  1. Posted March 9, 2010 at 4:15 pm

    You’re not preaching to the choir with me. My response would be something like Amulek in Alma 10: “therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know.”

    Because that is where I am. When I read this post, I was mentally sticking my fingers in my ears and was saying, “I can’t hear you.” Because I just can’t do this yet. Not right now. But I am keeping it in the back of my mind for later.

  2. Posted March 9, 2010 at 7:00 pm

    Well, Jess…You might not be a member of the choir, but you are still the most awesome singer I know.

  3. HK
    Posted March 9, 2010 at 9:24 pm

    I haven’t read this book yet, but I have often repeated the mantra to myself like a, well, mantra just as I’m reaching for the ice cream.

    And I always thought I ate real food until it occurred to me I threw a lot of packaging when I made dinner. The spinach is in a plastic-y bag. The chicken is in plastic and styrofoam. I prefer canned tomatoes for sauces and chili. The sour cream tub, the tuna can, the pasta box.

    We don’t eat velveeta or instant rice or chef boyardee or manwich, but I still feel like my food gets “processed”. I guess this means my next progressive step is the farmer’s market on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment