Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Yam Soup

Here is a post/recipe from my friend Heather:

I adore yams and it comes from reading Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart during my MFA, but that’s another post.

Here’s a great yam soup I love to make at Thanksgiving, in lieu of those gross sweet potato casseroles with the marshmallows. *shakes head no emphatically.

YAM SOUP

2-3 peeled and chopped yams
up to 4 cups chicken broth
several cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 can coconut milk

Cover the yams with broth to simmer gently until soft, about 20 minutes.

Puree yams and broth together and add remaining broth to desired thinness. Add spice and coconut milk to combine well.

Heat through and serve.

This recipe has sweetness and spice, is creamy and a gorgeous color. The whole thing warms me up.


3 Comments

  1. Posted March 9, 2010 at 10:16 pm

    This is becoming my favorite blog, by far! Thanks for the yummy recipe…yam is one of my favorite vegetables (with avocado and asparagus), so I’ll definitely be making this baby this week!

  2. heathermommy
    Posted March 10, 2010 at 7:29 pm

    So I am dumb – are sweet potatoes and yams the same thing??

  3. HK
    Posted March 11, 2010 at 2:28 pm

    I use something I call yams that the Publix calls sweet potatoes–they’re huge, orange with rough skins. I always thought sweet potatoes looked exactly like potatoes, maybe slightly yellower.

No comments:

Post a Comment