Thursday, March 11, 2010

Parmesan Herb Baked Tilapia

I love fish. But usually only if it is deep fried.

Yummy.

But unfortunately, not so good-for-you.

I found this recipe a couple years ago and it has become a staple in our diet.

This recipe originally called for mayo. I personally hate mayo and never, ever use it (someday I will tell you why). I tried yogurt instead and love it. I substitute yogurt for almost anything that calls for sour cream or mayo. Yogurt is so good for you and no one can ever tell the difference.

Here’s the recipe:

4 Tilapia fillets

1/3 Cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup plain yogurt

2 Tbl green onions

1/4 C dried breadcrumbs

1 tsp dried basil

1 tsp dried oregano

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

Preheat the oven to 400

You can line a baking sheet with tin foil for easier clean-up. Coat with cooking spray (or do what I do and just rub some olive oil on the foil).

I like to cut the tilapia fillets into 3 pieces because I like the way they cook better. But it isn’t necessary.

Combine the cheese, yogurt, and onions. Spread evenly over fish.

Combine the breadcrumbs and spices together. Sprinkle over the fish. If you like your breadcrumbs to crisp up a little, you can either coat lightly with cooking spray (I say no to this because cooking spray is not too good for you) or you can lightly brush the breadcrumbs ahead of time with olive oil.

Cook for about 10 -15 minutes. Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.

Now go eat some omega 3′s!


4 Comments

  1. Rachel
    Posted March 11, 2010 at 7:29 pm

    This sounds good. Lance loves fish, but I am always skiffy about making it. We might have to try this one. By the way, Michael Pollan was on silly Oprah today. He is a pretty smart guy. I liked him. I have not been wanting to make homemade bread lately and we have been eating yucky store-bought. After hearing him today, I think I’ll make some homemade bread tomorrow!

  2. Jessica
    Posted March 12, 2010 at 7:07 pm

    Dear Jen,

    Fish is gross.

    Love,

    Jessica

    • Posted March 14, 2010 at 7:50 pm

      Dear Jessica,

      You are wrong. Only some fish is gross. This is good.

      Try it. You may like it!

      Love,

      Jen I am

  3. Heathermommy
    Posted March 13, 2010 at 5:49 pm

    I tried tilapia at costco today. I cried a little and had to hold my eyes shut real tight. I survived.


No comments:

Post a Comment